To serve, accompany and protect our clients.
Our motivation: to advise, negotiate and mediate helping to develop businesses and transform disputes into human and legal safety and protection achieving high productivity and returns for the business.
- We connect with every client, listening to them, and communicating with them in their entrepreneurial language, understanding their needs, interests and objectives and legally protecting their business project and financial profit.
- Our interventions adapt to our clients, their environments and challenges by means of alternative solutions and a comprehensive vision of all elements involved in (financial, commercial, operational, personal, social, reputational, etc.).
- We manage and solve conflicts through negotiation, mediation and alternative dispute resolutions to legal proceedings (ADR or MASC).
Our objective: to establish and maintain multifaceted professional relationships with our clients, contributing to the development of their business in any stage with a strategic approach, through
- Proximity and adaptation of the legal advice to the business environment.
- Quality business mediation.
We provide our clients, both domestic and international, with:
- Knowledge of the business environment and its dynamics, having experience in the legal services of major national and multinational companies.
- A business orientation with a global, multidisciplinary and integrating approach.
- Flexibility and speed to adapt and adjust the legal service to changing and complex realities.
- Expertise in strategy definitions, business mediation and negotiation, nationally and internationally, helping to do business or to settle disputes.
- Proactive collaboration with client teams as a trusted partner.
- Intuitive vision and conscious understanding of individuals, contributing to enhanced communications in organisations through innovative working methods.
- Creativity. Ability to contribute to the generation of transformational changes in business projects.
- Legal safety, prevention and protection: risk assessment, mitigation and prevention.
- Sense of rigour, transparency and consistency.
MARÍA BACAS MALO
Lawyer, negotiator and business mediator
Professional track record of more than twenty five years with experience in national and international negotiation and contracting.
Mediator accredited by the CEDR, Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution of London, a leading independent organisation of Europe in ADR, and one of the most prestigious worldwide.
Agreement management and culture, with transformational results that surpass initial legal and corporate expectations.
Areas of practice
Corporate Law, Trade Law, Real Estate and Public Law for local and cross-border projects, including internationalisation processes.
Career and achievements
- Extensive national and international track record having spent almost twenty years as Director of Legal Services.
- More than twelve years in said position and as Secretary of the Board at Grupo Vips and Starbucks Spain, France and Portugal (2003-2016).
- Having directed the legal services of Starbucks France since its launch in 2003 and until 2009.
- Head of legal services within the power generation sector at Asea Brown Boveri (ABB) and, subsequently Alstom, where she occupied the positions of General Counsel, Secretary of the Board and Board-member of Alstom España Ib, S.L. and Alstom Power España, S.A. (1992-2003).
Member of various bodies and institutions related to law and advocacy, corporate environment, business mediation and executive coaching:
- Bar Association of Madrid.
- IBA (International Bar Association), London.
- CEDR (Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution), London. Member of the mediators panel of the CEDR.
- Register of Mediators of the Ministry of Justice, Spain.
- WIPO (Word Intellectual Property Organization), Geneva. Member of the mediators panel of the WIPO.
- AGERS (Asociación Española de Gerencia de Riesgos y Seguros – Spanish Insurance and Risk Management Association). Member of the mediators panel of the AGERS Dispute Resolution Centre.
- FIDE (Fundación para la Investigaciónsobre el Derecho y Empresa – Foundation for Law and Business Research), Madrid.
- ICF (International Coach Federation).
- ABE (Asociación para la Búsqueda de la Excelencia – Association for the Pursuit of Excellence), Spain.
- ABE (Asociación para la Búsqueda de la Excelencia), España.
A regular conference speaker for forums, master’s degree courses and on national and international round tables.
Promoter of various work groups, forums, round tables and sessions on Law-related subjects from a business perspective.
“STRUCTURING JOINT VENTURES IN FRANCHISING” by Theodore P. Pearce, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings Charlotte, NC, USA; María Bacas, Madrid, SPAIN, and Luciana Bassani, Dannemann Siemsen Advogados, Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL. Presented at the INTERNATIONAL BAR ASSOCIATION & INTERNATIONAL FRANCHISE ASSOCIATION (IBA/IFA) 32nd ANNUAL JOINT CONFERENCE – INTERNATIONAL FRANCHISING COMMITTEE – May 17-18, 2016. Washington, D.C. U.S.A.
- Knowledge of company business with a global vision.
- Capacity to adjust and adapt legal advice to the needs, interests and objectives of the business in commercial transactions and complex disputes, in changing and challenging environments, with both private and institutional players.
- Ability and used to work with different cultures and professional and executive profiles, in collaborative environments and with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Broad-minded perspective and flexibility to understand and adopt new business trends.
- Problem-solving capacity and acumen, thriving on adverse challenges.
- Person who connects people and teams together, creating, powering and maintaining long-term trusted relationships.
- Fluency in three languages: Spanish, English and French.
- University Degree in Law. UAM, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Autonomous University of Madrid).
- Master’s Degree in Financial Management and Management Control. IE, Instituto de Empresa, Madrid.
- Master’s Degree in Foreign Trade. ICADE, Instituto Católico de Administración y Dirección de Empresas, Madrid (Catholic Institute of Business Administration and Management, Madrid).
- Accredited mediator by CEDR, Center for Effective Dispute Resolution, London.
- Mediator accredited in Civil, Commercial and Family Mediation by the Rey Juan Carlos University of Madrid, for access to the Registry of Mediators of the Spanish Ministry of Justice.
- Diploma in Financial Administration and Accounting). CEF, Centro de Estudios Financieros (Financial Studies Centre), Madrid.
- Executive Coach. EEC, Escuela Europea de Coaching (European School of Coaching), Madrid (ACTP programme recognised and accredited by ICF, AECOP and FIACE).